So many people inquire about this one subject; the primary difference between a sauna and a spa. Many questions surround this issue. Technically, there are many differences between a spa and a sauna. Some seem to use the word interchangeably while not understanding the profound difference. A sauna is a small room usually designed as a specific location where a person can go to experience either wet or dry heat sessions. Saunas can be targeted for either recreational or therapeutic use or both. A spa, also known as a hot tub, is a heated, small pool of water generally utilized for relaxation, soaking, massage or hydrotherapy. Both the sauna and the spa promote health and wellness.
Generally, saunas are either dry or wet. Wet saunas, also called steam rooms, are kept at lower temperatures in order to prevent the extremely hot water from scalding the skin. Temperatures range from 100 degrees F to 115 degrees F. Conversely, dry saunas are operated at a greatly increased temperature, upwards to 250 degrees F. This is possible due to the zero moisture level within the cabin. Higher temperatures produce greater sweating, thus better results when seeking detoxification, relaxation, stress reduction and sleep benefits.
Far infrared saunas which are dry saunas produce heat through electromagnetic radiation heaters, combination carbon and ceramic, that range in temperature from 120 degrees F to 157 degrees F. These saunas heat the air surrounding the person, thus raising the core body temperature resulting in the many health benefits associated with infrared heat. Generally, this is a more comfortable thermal heat. Considering the state of our shared environment many have deduced the far infrared sauna to be the most effective at battling the many toxins we are bombarded with on a daily basis.
Our exposure to toxins has dramatically increased over the past decades. Their residues are reduced and eliminated through far infrared sauna therapy. Circulation is increased improving lymph flow and toxins are released through the skin aiding in the health of important organs such as the liver, kidneys, and bowel. While sitting in the sauna your body temperature rises mimicking a natural fever response. This, in turn, boosts your immune system, which as you know, is necessary for every important function within your body.
Most of us exist within the confines of toxic air, cars, offices, and homes filled with air conditioning and heat. We use antiperspirants, perfumes, bath products, cleaning supplies and various other toxic substances. Top that with not enough exercise, thus no sweat, and the results could be disastrous. We definitely do not sweat enough! Our bodies were designed to work hard and sweat a lot. Sweat is a healthy and very natural way to eliminate toxins. The warm, gentle infrared waves from a far infrared sauna ensure powerful cellular cleansing. While taking a sauna metabolism is boosted, circulation is increased, blood is oxygenated and your entire body reaps the benefits of the Far Infrared heat.
In contrast, traditional saunas directly heat the surrounding air utilizing heated water turned into steam. For centuries this was the conventional avenue in terms of gaining the benefits from a good sweat. However, heated steam can be unbearable to some and even very tiring to others thus not used as frequently. Infrared heat is tolerable, even for the first time user, it provides more benefits than the traditional sauna and because it can be used more consistently, it is even better at providing these benefits if for no other reason than it is used more! Far infrared heat is simple more effective.
For example, research has been done on the perspiration resulting from both far infrared saunas and traditional steam saunas. The results are informative. Each produced water and toxins but at dramatically differing levels. Traditional sauna sweat was 97% water and 3% toxins. Whereas far infrared sweat was 80% water and the remaining 20% various toxins including heavy metals, sulfuric acid, sodium, ammonia, uric acid and many other fat-soluble toxins. Additional findings reveal the deep penetration of the far infrared heat waves released varying toxins surrounding fat layers that lie beneath the skin. This is accomplished effectively and more efficiently than a traditional sauna with hot air and steam. Infrared heat releases toxins from the body’s internal organs, as well.
Whether a wet sauna, dry sauna, hot tub or spa heating the body produces sweat. It has been established; the use of dry, far infrared heat is the most productive in terms of raising core body temperature. When this happens all kinds of wonderful health befits ensue. Do your own research and after that begin a regimen of daily far infrared saunas. You will feel better and sleep more than you ever imagined possible. Your body will thank you!